As Russian military forces escalate attacks in Ukraine, The Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency has issued a “Shields Up” Event
According to CISA “While there are no specific or credible cyber threats to the U.S. homeland at this time, Russia’s unprovoked attack on Ukraine, which has involved cyber-attacks on the Ukrainian government and critical infrastructure organizations, may impact organizations both within and beyond the region. Every organization—large and small—must be prepared to respond to disruptive cyber activity.
As the nation’s cyber defense agency, CISA stands ready to help organizations prepare for, respond to, and mitigate the impact of cyber-attacks. “When cyber incidents are reported quickly, we can use this information to render assistance and as a warning to prevent other organizations and entities from falling victim to a similar attack. “ You can read more here: Shields Up | CISA
Many of TechWise Group’s clients have reached out to us regarding their concerns and have asked for guidance. As always the best protection against cyber threats remains the same. This month, in our tech tips, we will review the top recommendations for protecting your organization.
CA first step in protecting your organization is reducing the potential for a cyber intrusion in the first place. To do this, we always recommend the following:
- Enable multi-factor authentication (MFA) for access to your systems. Microsoft 365 includes this feature, and it can be extended to protect other aspects of your organization’s infrastructure as well.
- Ensure that all systems, including servers, firewalls, and desktops/laptops are up to date and fully patched. The best way to accomplish this is to have an endpoint management solution in place.
- Limit access to systems based on role and need.
- Remove any unused accounts.
- Invest in frequent training sessions for employees on cyber security so that they can recognize potential threats.
If you are concerned about your organization’s cybersecurity preparedness, please contact us
Compiled by Technical Support Officer