Before you can start streaming on YouTube, you need to download encoding software. Encoding software allows you to capture content, including your desktop, camera, microphone, and more, and send it to YouTube Live to be streamed to all your fans.
The best encoding software for you depends on your needs. We’ve organized a selection of encoders below.
YouTube Live Verified Devices & Software
Live Verified devices & software are integrated with YouTube Live -- just look for the YouTube logo in the software and log in with your Google Account. Your encoder will be automatically set up for use with YouTube and you’ll be ready to start streaming!
- Record and stream from the YouTube app. Note: For YouTube live on mobile, your channels must have over 100 subscribers
- Record and stream from the YouTube Gaming app.
- Mirror your mobile device to YouTube.
- Record and stream your Xbox, PlayStation, or Wii U gameplay.
- Use Epiphan Webcaster X1™ to stream your HD camera to YouTube. Works with any camera, mixer, or device with HDMI™ output.
- Gaming-focused, professional production software. Templates, dynamic production capabilities, widgets and more.
- Produce live broadcasts from your iPhone.
- Everything you need to stream live video from your desktop to the world.
- Revolutionary audio/video mixing application that allows you to create professional live broadcasts and video recordings.
- The easiest way to stream and record your greatest gaming moments at the click of a button. Perfect for sharing your gameplay.
- Try Open Broadcaster Software. Free and open-source software for video recording and live streaming.
Stream nowLive Event
- Copy the YouTube entry points from Ingestion Settings to your encoder.
- Stream Name - This identifies your stream on YouTube servers.
- Primary Server URL - The main server where your stream will be ingested by YouTube.
- Backup Server URL - The backup server where your stream will be ingested by YouTube.
- Configure your encoder using YouTube's recommended encoding settings.
- Configure your audio and video sources.
- Start encoding.
- If you're using a scheduled event, remember to start the event on YouTube too.
The products listed above meet the YouTube Live Verified criteria. With the exception of Mobile Capture, none of these products are made by Google. Make sure to evaluate the products and decide which option makes the most sense for you or your business.
Looking for open-source options?
If you’ve selected an encoder that is not Live Verified. Here is how to set it up.
Simply copy the server URL and stream name/key into your encoder.
Choosing to stream to the backup is recommended but requires double the outbound bandwidth (you are outputting a simultaneous redundant stream). So make sure that you have the internet bandwidth capacity. Ideally, your backup stream should be on an entirely redundant physical encoder.